Things didn’t go well for TCU Basketball in their first true road game of the season. As a matter of fact, they went really, really, poorly. The Horned Frogs were run out of the gym by a red-hot West Virginia squad, taking the worst loss of the Jamie Dixon era in the process.
The great thing about basketball, though, is they didn’t get to stew on it on. The Frogs can right a lot of wrongs Saturday in Norman, when they play a good but not Mountaineers good Sooners squad. Win on the road to end the week and all wrongs in Morgantown are sure to be forgiven.
JAN. 18 | LLOYD NOBLE CENTER (11,562) | NORMAN, OKLA. | 1 PM
Broadcast: Big 12 Now/ESPN+
Play-By-Play: Mark Neely Analyst: Lance Blanks
Online: WatchESPN.com // ESPN App
Radio: KTCU 88.7 FM // KLIF 570 AM XM 386 – (976 online)
Play-By-Play: Brian Estridge
Analyst: John Denton
Online: HFTV // TuneIn
Series: Oklahoma leads 23-4
In Fort Worth: OU leads 8-2
In Norman: OU leads 12-0
Neutral: OU leads 3-2
First Meeting: OU won 91-34 (1919) in Norman
Last Meeting: OU won 71-62 (2/16/19) in Fort Worth
Winning Streak: OU, 3
Dixon vs. OU: 2-5
- TCU (12-4, 3-1) will play its second-straight road game when it faces Oklahoma 11-5, 2-2) Saturday in Norman, Okla., at 1 p.m. on Big 12 Now on ESPN+.
- TCU is 1-1 in road games this season with a win at Kansas State, 59-57, and a loss at No. 12 West Virginia, 81-49.
- TCU leads the Big 12 in 3-pointers made per game (9.6) and blocks per game (4.9) and ranks second in assists (16.5), assists/turnover ratio (1.19) and 3-point field goal percentage (36.4).
- TCU ranks in the top 30 nationally in assists (22nd, 16.5), 3-point field goals made (24th, 9.6), defensive efficiency (29th, 90.9) and points allowed (30th, 61.5).
- TCU has two returning starters from last season, senior Desmond Bane and sophomore Kevin Samuel. Bane, who earned multiple preseason honors, ranks high in the conference in several categories including second in scoring average at 17.1 points per game. He’s also top three in field goal percentage, 3-point percentage and 3-point field goals per game.
- Samuel ranks second in the Big 12 in shooting at 66.7 percent from the field and is fifth in the Big 12 with 8.6 rebounds per game. Samuel’s eighth double-doubles this season leads the Big 12 and ranks 18th in the nation.
- Bane and RJ Nembhard are averaging 16.3 points in Big 12 play, which ranks third. Nembhard scored 31 points against Iowa State on Jan. 4, tied for the most by a Big 12 player this season.
- At 1,523 career points, Bane is 7th on TCU’s all-time scoring list. Next on the list is Kyan Anderson at 1,624 points.
- At 122 career blocked shots, Samuel is sixth on TCU’s all-time list. Reggie Smith is next on the chart with 133.
LAST TIME OUT
Facing one of the top defensive teams in the country, TCU fell behind early and dropped its first road game of the season, 81-49, at No. 12 West Virginia, Tuesday at WVU Coliseum. The Mountaineers shot 57.7 percent from the field and held the Frogs to a season-low 31.8 percent.
ABOUT THE OPPONENT
Oklahoma is 11-5 overall, 2-2 in the Big 12, following a 66-52 loss to No. 6 Kansas Tuesday. The Sooners are led by senior Kristian Doolittle, who averages 16.8 points per game, which ranks fourth in the Big 12, and averages a team-best 8.8 rebounds. Junior Austin Reaves averages 15.1 points and junior Brady Manek averages 14.3. Oklahoma, which is 6-1 at home, ranks fifth in the nation with just 10.4 turnovers per game.
Oklahoma leads the all-time series 23-4, including a 12-0 record in Norman. The Sooners have won the last four meetings in the series. The last three meetings in Norman have been decided by a total of 12 points.
TCU will host No. 23 Texas Tech (11-5, 2-2) Tuesday at 7 p.m. on Big 12 Now on ESPN+.
Go To Original Source