Today marked the seventeenth 2019 Philadelphia Eagles training camp practice. It was the team’s first of two joint practices against the Baltimore Ravens. Read on to see what I observed! Also, stay tuned for the latest BGN Radio practice recap podcast that’ll be embedded below once it’s up on the feed.
• CARSON WENTZ UPDATE: The Eagles’ offense as a whole got off to a rough start against the Ravens’ talented defense. Marlon Humphrey broke up a couple of Wentz’s red zone targets, including one where Alshon Jeffery could’ve made a contested catch. Humphrey then punched a ball out of Nelson Agholor’s hands immediately after the receiver caught it. A Wentz throw for DeSean Jackson was also knocked out of the receiver’s hands. Wentz almost got picked off by Kenny Young on a throw over the middle where it looked like he didn’t realize the Ravens linebacker could range over to intercept the throw. Young dropped the ball, though.
But then Wentz DID connect with Jeffery on a deep bomb with Earl Thomas beat in coverage. Thomas tried to rip the ball out as Jeffery went to the ground but the receiver held on. Easily the best play of the entire practice for either team.
Wentz dropped another dime to Agholor along the sideline with the Ravens’ coverage closing in on the receiver. He also connected with Jackson and Jeffery for some intermediate gains. Wentz hit Mack Hollins on a tight window red zone throw for a touchdown.
The Ravens’ defense should give Wentz another good test on Tuesday.
• EAGLES INJURY UPDATE: Several things to note.
Richard Rodgers was carted off the field with what appeared to be some kind of lower body injury. He looked frustrated and Doug Pederson gave him a hug. Those don’t seem like great signs. Rodgers had previously missed two weeks of practice with a foot injury before returning on Sunday. It’s weird that Rodgers has been so injury prone with the Eagles after having never missed a game in his career prior to last season. Rodgers’ injury could open the door for Joshua Perkins to make the team as a third tight end.
Cody Kessler returned to practice. He’s still in the concussion protocol because he hasn’t been officially cleared for full contact just yet. He might be ready for Thursday’s game.
Cre’Von LeBlanc walked out to the sideline towards the end of practice. Strap is still wearing a boot on his right foot.
• Josh McCown was the second quarterback up in 11-on-11. He threw a deep pass to Carlton Agudosi but it was a little underthrown and the receiver couldn’t make a proper adjustment on the ball. McCown did make a nice throw to Hollins over the middle.
• Today was Hollins’ most active practice of the summer. He made a couple tightly contested catches over the middle of the field. He also broke out the floss dance after his touchdown. Nice to see him showing off some swagger. There’s been some thought the Eagles will cut Hollins but I don’t see it happening.
• Corey Clement was getting a decent chunk of first team reps. He continues to look healthy and fast out there. Maybe we see him make his preseason debut on Thursday night? I think he’s a lock to make the team.
• Ronald Darby punched a ball out to force a fumble on a Willie Snead catch-and-run.
• Following up on those last two notes, the Eagles’ defense generally did a nice job against the Ravens’ offense. The Eagles’ defensive line was consistently stuffing the Ravens’ red zone rushing attempts. I did see the defense allow one long run and one busted coverage. For the most part, though, the defenses on both teams won the day.
• Clayton Thorson continues to do some good things! The rookie quarterback threw a perfect fade pass touchdown to JJ Arcega-Whiteside. Put it right where JJ could make one of his signature jump ball catches. Thorson followed that rep with a throw that allowed Marken Michel to make a diving touchdown catch along the sideline. The Ravens will probably regret letting the mighty Thor get hot.
• Matt Pryor hasn’t had a great summer but I feel like he’s still going to make the team. The fact he’s on the starting field goal protect unit along with a bunch of players who are clearly going to make the roster does nothing to shake this feeling.
• New Eagles offensive lineman Brett Toth has been lining up as the third team right tackle.
• Howie Roseman and former Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome spent some time chatting it up before Newsome requested to watch practice from the shaded balcony section outside of Roseman’s office.
— Brandon Lee Gowton (@BrandonGowton) August 19, 2019
The Eagles have another practice with the Ravens tomorrow beginning at 1:30 PM ET. As always, stay tuned to BGN for more coverage.
Original Article Source