– The Buccaneers defense forced Miami’s offense into a three-and-out on the opening possession. Tampa Bay’s defense has held preseason opponents scoreless in nine of their last 10 opening drives dating back to 2017.
– RB Dare Ogunbowale led the team in rushing with 13 carries for 34 yards, while hauling in three receptions for 54 yards. A 41-yard reception for Ogunbowale in the fourth quarter was the longest play from scrimmage for either team.
– K Matt Gay got the Buccaneers on the board with a 32-yard field goal in the second quarter to cap off an 11-play, 36-yard drive lasting 5:20. The made field goal knotted the score at 3-3. He was called upon again after the Buccaneers fell behind 14-13 with 0:38 on the clock, as he delivered a 48-yard game-winning field goal that finished off a five-play, 45-yard drive. Gay has hit a field goal of 45 yards or longer in each of his first two NFL preseason games.
– Back in the second quarter, the Buccaneers recorded back-to-back sacks on Miami quarterback Josh Rosen. Tampa Bay OLBShaquil Barrett notched the first, dropping Rosen for a seven-yard loss. Barrett has racked up 7.0 sacks in the preseason throughout his career (4.0 in 2015, 2.0 in 2014). The latter was a seven-yard sack from OLB Patrick O’Connor, who has 2.5 sacks in his preseason career (1.0 in 2017, 0.5 in 2018).
– Later in the second quarter, LB Devante Bond took down Rosen for a 2-yard loss, securing the first preseason sack of his career.
– OLB Demone Harris collected Tampa Bay’s fourth sack of the night, knocking Dolphins QB Ryan Fitzpatrick back seven yards in the third quarter. The sack was Harris’ first during the preseason. He also led the team with two tackles for loss, while finishing tied for fourth on the team with three total tackles.
– With the Dolphins on Tampa Bay’s 13-yardline, Jamel Deangenerated the Buccaneers lone turnover in the game, intercepting Miami QB Jake Rudock in the back of the end zone. Dean also led the team with two passes defensed.
– Following Dean’s interception, QB Ryan Griffin led Tampa Bay on a six-play, 80-yard drive in 2:48, connecting with TE Tanner Hudson in the end zone to put the Buccaneers ahead 13-6 with just 3:38 remaining in the game. Hudson led the team with six receptions for 93 yards and a touchdown. He now has a touchdown in each of the team’s first two preseason games, totaling 13 receptions for 177 yards in that span. Griffin completed 14-of-21 passes for 201 yards and a touchdown, earning a 113.4 passer rating. He has combined for 331 yards and two touchdowns through the opening two contests.
– Players making NFL preseason debut: S John Battle