‘I don’t think that was my last game’: Dries Mertens shrugs off summer speculation and insists he is keen to stay at Napoli despite Chelsea links
- Dries Mertens has played down talks of him leaving Napoli this summer window
- Chelsea have been linked with a move for Mertens, whose deal expires in 2020
- The forward said he is keen to stay after scoring in 3-2 defeat against Bologna
The 32-year-old, whose deal runs out in the summer of 2020, is being courted by a number of clubs this summer, including Chelsea despite their current transfer ban.
Mertens scored for Napoli on Saturday as they closed out their Serie A campaign with a disappointing 3-2 defeat by Bologna.
Dries Mertens has shrugged off rumours linking him with a Napoli exit in the summer
The Belgium international addressed the speculation surrounding his future afterwards.
‘I don’t think that was my last game with Napoli,’ he told Radio Kiss Kiss Italia. ‘I still have a year left on my contract with Napoli and I’m happy here.’
Reports surfaced earlier this year suggesting that Mertens would not be extending his deal at Napoli and will leave on a free at the end of next season.
Chelsea, who have previously been linked with a move for the forward, were put on red alert by this with plans to snap him up on a free.
It now appears that that is the most likeliest scenario with Mertens set to stay put this summer before considering his options.
The Belgian scored on Saturday as Napoli ended Serie A season with 3-2 defeat by Bologna