The Tampa Bay Buccaneers revealed last week that Jason Pierre-Paul was involved in a car accident and treated at the hospital, and they are not providing any additional information in the wake of a report that the defensive lineman could miss the entire 2019 season.
On Tuesday, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported that Pierre-Paul suffered a fractured neck and could require surgery. Rather than confirm or deny that report, Bucs general manager Jason Licht issued a new statement saying that the team’s medical staff is still evaluating Pierre-Paul.
“As we stated last week following the news of Jason’s auto accident, our immediate concern was for both Jason and his passenger,” Licht said. “While Jason was treated and released in south Florida the same day of the accident, we wanted to ensure that our medical team had an opportunity to perform a thorough evaluation here in Tampa, and that process is currently ongoing.”
Schefter said Pierre-Paul is scheduled to meet with some specialists, but the early belief is that he will not play in 2019.
As you know, Pierre-Paul lost part of his hand in a gruesome fireworks accident when he was with the New York Giants several years ago. While the details of last week’s accident are unclear, it seems like he has some horrible luck.
Pierre-Paul made a huge impact on the Buccaneers’ defense last season, recording 12.5 sacks in 16 games.